Sunday, June 22, 2014

Freezer Paper Shirt



For Silas's birthday this year I made him a birthday shirt using the freezer paper method that I've heard about a few different places. I found one tutorial that was great but I can't find it again. Blast!


But anyway it's pretty simple. You start with your design. I just made this one on Photoshop and printed it out in black and white.



You then lay the freezer paper on top with the wax side down and trace the design. I was going to be painting a yellow layer and then a red layer on top so I traced it twice.

For the yellow layer I wanted to just do the whole shield so I just took an knife and cut out the shape I wanted. Put the freezer paper wax side down on the shirt and dry iron it.


The freezer paper should now be stuck to the shirt. So you can now apply the fabric paint. I used Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paint because it's what I could find in a hurry.
I just used a sponge paint brush I already had. Just brush it on and wait for an hour before doing another layer.
After the hour was up I then ironed on the second stencil which was everything that I wanted in red. 
Just dry iron it on then paint. I didn't wait for the paint to dry before taking the freezer paint off because that's what made sense to me. And because I didn't want to wait to see the end result. And TA DA!  
I went a little heavy on paint which makes me nervous that the paint will crack but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment